Writing a Blog for your eCommerce Site
Blog posts are a cost-effective method of generating new traffic to your eCommerce site and this can ultimately lead to further product sales. While this isn’t exactly ground-breaking information, it is still surprising how few businesses craft such content when the benefits are clear for all to see.
Then why do we see such a low amount of blog content compiled in relation to the countless eCommerce sites out there?
Well, there is no definitive answer as such and this can vary from business to business. However, two of the most common reasons we hear is the choice to focus on converting their current customer base to buy from them and being unable to think of new blog topics on a consistent basis.
With this in mind, here are five tips to help you write a blog for your eCommerce site…
- Subject - Hobbyist or ‘how to’ blogs are an excellent means of showcasing a company’s prowess as a leader in their industry. Such blogs provide businesses the opportunity to communicate the latest trends or provide guides to help instruct beginners in their field. This not only gives your company’s brand a voice and provides an edge over your competitors but allows a further opportunity to promote your eCommerce site’s products.
- Title - When writing such guides, try to imagine what beginners or hobbyists will be typing into Google. For example, if you’re a retail clothing company writing a blog promoting your Autumn fashion line, you may want to title your blog ‘what are the latest fashion trends in Autumn 2017?’ If you’re a blacksmith providing guidance to beginners on how to forge a handmade nail hook then a blog titled ‘how to make a nail hook’ would be appropriate. Taking time and consideration when deciding what to name your blog, can make a huge difference on whether you reach people interested in what you sell.
- Link to product pages – 9 times out of 10, people searching for guides on how to carry out a specific task will be interested in your products as well. Including links in your blog leading to these product pages only opens up a further opportunity to drive traffic to these areas of your site. Ultimately the purpose of writing these blogs are to drive sales so finding that balance between writing an informative blog and including enough links throughout, can make a dramatic difference in conversion rates to these pages.
- Promote on social media – Sharing quality blog posts on your social media pages reaches members of your current customer base but opens up the opportunity for outside engagement as well. All it takes is one member of your current audience to ‘share’ or ‘retweet’ a blog post and you will gain new traffic to your website. Sharing blog posts also demonstrates that you have something to say. Exchanging and absorbing information is primarily what people use social media for so whilst directly promoting your products is important, if this is solely what your social media content comprises of then your target audience will soon switch off.
- Post. Repeat. – Consistently posting new blogs on a regular basis is key to establishing yourself online. Being patient is therefore important if you do see an increase in website traffic but these do not convert into a sharp increase in sales figures straight away. It is highly unlikely new visitors to your eCommerce website will purchase from you until they see you are a trustworthy online supplier. Such blogs can do a lot to position you higher on search engines which can cultivate that trust between you and your potential customers.
So there you have it, those are our 5 tips to help get you started on crafting your very own eCommerce site’s blog. Are you reading this and are in need of a brand new eCommerce website? Or do you already have a site and it isn’t achieving the sales figures you envisaged? Then our developers and copywriters are here to help you.